Wednesday, June 6, 2012

Thank you to the Internet!


When I was growing up, the only time I ever saw another kid with CHD was at my cardiology appointments. I certainly did not have anyone in my everyday life. I had my surgery when I was 16 and I was very alone in that aspect. My parents also did not have other parents to talk to. I don't think they ever sought others out either.

As a face surgery in less than 24 hours I am humbled by the love and support from the friends I have met in the online CHD community. Facebook, blogs, online support groups have all become a great source of information.

Also because of facebook, I reconnected with a sorority sister from college. I hadn't seen her in 35 years. Out of all my friends and relatives, she was one of three who has my she blood type. She took time to go donate blood for my surgery.

Today I got the last of my pre-op tests done. Tomorrow I will go see my dad, pack my bag, clean my house and try not to think about Friday. I will let everyone else worry about it.

And when I have recovered, I will RUN around with these kids.
Xavier, Jane, & Jimmy, the center of my heart.



3 comments:

  1. I'm not going to worry. The science is solid and your tenacity will once again carry you through. Not to mention your grandchildren.

    Love
    Jimbo

    ReplyDelete
  2. We love you Joanie...and will be thinking of you tomorrow! Abby says, "You'll do good because you've got spunk!" I agree. Although the recovery isn't fun, we will be sending you love and prayers and hoping that in a few days you'll be home!!

    ReplyDelete
  3. Hope all is well....Please keep us posted on how things are going!
    God Bless!!

    ReplyDelete