Sunday, March 11, 2012

Back to Work After the "Event"

Memorial Day Weekend 2008, spent at one of the most expensive Newport Beach Resorts, Hoag Hospital. That's the joke my husband likes to tell. I had to wait until Tuesday to get my AICD. They weren't going to call in a team on a holiday weekend. Not really a fun vacation, and then 8 weeks off of work to recover.


I was anxious to get back to work. but it wasn't easy. I couldn't help lift patients with my left arm and I just plain ran out of gas before the end of the day. I could feel the AICD pacing my heart. I told my cardiologist this, he couldn't believe I could be that aware of my heart. When I went to the Pacer Clinic it did show that I was being paced 60% of the time. Don't tell me I don't know What I feel!


Work just keep wiping me out. I would be useless the day after I worked. I would tell my cardiologist about this and his reply was "Maybe you should stop working, if you are able to". My manager was great, even offering me 4 hour shifts. It just wasn't fair to my coworkers for me to work at a slower pace. The 4 hours shift never worked either. I was always leaving at least 3 patients still getting treatment to my coworkers. I could see it in their eyes. I imagined the things they were thinking and saying. I tried to make it for 10 months. So I had a talk with my manager and told her I just couldn't do it anymore. It wasn't fair to the unit.


While at work one day I had a chance meeting with wonderful doctor who happened to be an ACHD Cardilogist! I really wanted to be evaluated by him, but he was not in my insurance plan. We did toy with the idea of paying out of pocket for the consultation, but never did. I could kick myself now! I kept telling my doctor how I was feeling and tells me things like "You're fine","You are one of the healthiest people I've seen today."


Jim tried to make it seem wonderful. Like I was "retiring". Inside, I felt like a quitter. After a year of so called retirement, I found a part time paperwork nursing job. I am so grateful to have found the job I have. Not quite as fulfilling as patient care., but I at least I am working as a "nurse" and earning some money to go see my grandbabies.


Last week I finally saw a ACHD Cardiologist. Because of that visit I have a new job. Not literally, but a new focus. It involves surgery, a new pulmonary valve, and a future that will involve RUNNING with grandbabies!


These grandbabies!

Jimmy



Xavier




Jane



Will




3 comments:

  1. I know nothing about how it feels to have CHD, but I can tell you this: I know well that some patients feel heart palpitations (I do; when they rarely happen), and some people with the most irreg. pulse NEVER feel a thing. Doctor was being dumb when he dismissed your complaints.
    Glad you finally got to see the correct doctor. Our healthcare system is broken.

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey, those are some cute grandkids! Jane practices her running everyday. You'll be running from the front door to the back one too? Super! ;)

    ReplyDelete
  3. You! Running! Get on with your bad self!

    ReplyDelete