Monday, March 26, 2012

Still a Maybe for the Melody

I had my appointment with Dr. Berdjis last Wednesday. I had an echo done when I got there and then Dr. Berdjis and I talked about what it showed. I definitely have significant pulmonary valve regurgitation. The shape of my pulmonary valve still puts me in the running for the Melody valve. If you look at his drawing on the bottom right, the lower part appears to measure 30mm but does narrow to 15mm. 30 is too big for the Melody. Depending on what is found during the Heart Cath of how much the narrow part can be dilated will determine if it can be used. Also during the Heart Cath, Dr. Berdjis will put in a stent at the site of my original Blalock shunt. That can be seen on the upper left of the heart. 


If Dr. Berdjis feels the Melody Valve can be done, it won't be done at this time. We will have to get an authorization from the insurance company. Even though it is less invasive, less risk, less cost, it is not a "labeled" use for it. The insurance company may declare it "an experimental, off label procedure". We will then proceed with letter writing asking for approval to do this procedure. This may take up to two months.


If the Melody Valve is not possible I will be facing Open Heart Surgery. Something I never imagined I would ever need again. I do not look forward to having my chest cracked again, but given the possibilities for my overall heart function improvement, I won't hesitate to do it if that if it is the option given to me.


So now we wait until the Heart Cath is scheduled in the next couple of weeks. It will be a short stay, 23 hours at the most.


This explains a Cardiac Catheterization (Heart Cath) http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Cardiac_catheterization

2 comments:

  1. This would be great stuff to publish on Heartwaves.org as well...Thanks so much for being a part of our community...

    Jared Broussard
    Heartwaves.org

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Thank you! I did plan to go into my current situation for Heartwaves.

      Delete