Friday, March 9, 2012

When the New Heart Adventure Started

I had originally created this blog to reflect on my life with a congenital heart defect. Life took a few bad turns and the focus went elsewhere. Now back to the business of the heart.


My cardiac life was going pretty smoothly five to six years ago. I did have occasional arrhythmias, but nothing that lasted for any significant amount of time. I had just discovered ACHA, the Adult Congenital Heart Association. On their website I learned about the new specialty of ACHD Cardiologist. I have been seeing a highly respected Adult Cardiologist, a "regular" cardiologist. I would question him on in regards to my special needs of care and he would reassure me he has experience with adults with CHD.


I did order a book from ACHA about complications of Tetralogy of Fallot post surgical correction. I read that Sudden Cardiac Death is the most common serious complication. Any complication that includes the word "death" seems pretty serious. Next was arrhythmias.


I am very thankful I only experienced the second most common complication. Because of this newfound knowledge I knew I was in trouble that evening in May of '08. Out of the blue, my heart rate went soaring to 180-200. I came inside, sat down, tried a few Valsalva maneuvers (holding your breath and bearing down) with no improvement. Jim, my hubby, just got out of the shower and I told him "I think we need to call the paramedics." He was so fantastic and calm. Long story shortened, ninety minutes later I was cardioverted with 100 joules, while conscious, into wonderful sinus rhythm. A few day later I became a proud owner of an AICD (automated implantable cardioverter-defibrillator). This was the weekend my heart life changed.

No comments:

Post a Comment